Sunday, February 26, 2012

a poem.

A Maiden Fair

By Matthew O’Brien

For Cristin Mahaffey

~

I heard some Angels sing a song

About a maiden fair,

And what it was that made her good:

A heart exceedingly rare,

She loved and loved and never quit;

She always told the truth,

If you met her in Bible times,

You’d swear that she was Ruth,

But the world gave her heart troubles,

She cried many heavy nights,

She locked herself in darkness

And tried to shut out light,

She wandered over all the earth

With nowhere she could stay,

She hacked herself to pieces,

And gave herself away,

As the Angels sang and sang,

I started, thus, to cry,

This Maiden’s tale of sadness could

Be lived by you or I,

But when they started up again,

My broken heart did leap,

They sang of Love redeeming;

Forgiveness mountains steep,

The Maiden’s sin was paid for,

God’s own Son did affect,

He gave her, then, a new heart,

His image to reflect,

Then He set her in the sky,

A diamond in the night,

And everyone she shined upon

Saw better by her light,

She started feeling lonely,

Way up there all alone,

She asked God for another star

With whom to make a home,

So God came down to see her, and said,

“I’ve just the thing in mind,

I’ve humbled and restored him;

He’s really just your kind,”

“He’s also very different,

He might not shine as bright,

You’ll know him when you see him;

You’ll find he fits just right.”

At this my heart was pounding,

For I knew I’d seen this star,

She danced across my deepest dreams,

Enchanting from afar,

And now I write this silly verse,

To you, My Darling Sweet,

For now in truth, I do believe,

Two stars can, happy, meet.

2 comments:

Cristin said...

i love it, but you knew that <3

Erin said...

Wow, you're quite the poet, Matt. I never knew :)