Friday, February 24, 2012

Zen

A while ago, someone pointed out to me that there is a quality to my discourse, even to my faith that seems more like Zen than Christianity. I think that is worth noting, because, as I examine thought patterns such as the tao, I believe there is truth that is there, though I believe there are also lies that must be discerned.

Zen, especially as I have begun to practice yoga has a great deal of appeal to me. Being an Enneagram 9, my highest value is being at peace, both within and without. "Holding center in the midst of chaos" is one of my favorite phrases from my favorite yoga routine. I think there is a similarity in the cathartic nature of meditation and the open-handed mentality, and releasing things to God that my faith calls for.

However, the emphasis and end state of these ways of thinking are not compatible. Zen seeks nothingness, emptiness being it's own goal. Christ calls us to be renewed, to die (shivasana) that we might be raised, and to fill our minds with the goodness and love of God. The peace of Christ allows us not only to be at peace within ourselves, but to go forth into the world as peacemakers.

This is the difference between the peaces. Peace of mind retreats inward, Peace of Christ launches out into the lives of others, not passively letting them go, "dropping weight", but embracing them in love, bearing their burdens, and making peace. I believe this is in part what God is calling me to do, but it is always a struggle to step out of myself. So much of this lines up with my enneagram results. It has been truly challenging to grow through and I continue today to step into awareness, and embrace others in peace.

No comments: