Thursday, March 01, 2018

The Obsolescence of Sport

I've always played sports, watched sports, talked about sports, I've been a "sports guy" for most of my life. As I write this I realize I went through a very similiar process with video games. I was so into them, and now, I feel not only not into them, but repulsed by them, and also compelled to not be into them. These are all forms of simulation.

Sport is a simulation of conflict, it is a facsimile of human condition of adversary.  Sport is a reflection of the literal meaning of Satan. And with the spirit, there is no conflict. the spirit is harmony, cooperation. Light and Dark are not dichotomous, Satan and Jesus are not equals. Sport is a platonic duality that enhances human tribalism and gives people a meaningless outlet to their worst impulses.

This alternate reality is a form of escape, a way to avoid the reality of our lives. IT is enhanced by the media coverage and lifestyle coverage of sport and athletes. This escapism is related to our human nature as worshipers. The number of people I've talked to who have pointed to a stadium, or television room where sport is consumed as their "church". I find this troubling not only in the approach to sport, but also in the approach to the meaning of church.

I the past I've tried to create spiritual practice, awareness and community engagement around sports teams and I feel bad now. Human beings need to move, and so sport is a good replacement for that. But any other manipulation is actually antithetical to the kingdom of God. The kingdom of God is where people who perpetually lose sports wear the victors crown along with the victors. The kingdom where conflict has no meaning, and where tribe has no place.

this is a personal post for me, sports are obsolete in there primitiveness. We participate in them to the detriment of our society as a whole. Some may argue for cultural relevance, powerful lessons of team building, and tradition, community knittedness, and a bunch of other myths. These ideas are laced into the idea of the tribe and the adversary, of the competitor and the rival. This dualism doesn't stand up.

We need not approve or dissaprove of a cultural practice for others. There sports obsessed are just as loved by God as any other. But rather, my challenge is to incarnate,  and enact values of Grace, whcih does not obsess over winners, losers, allegiances, events or statistics, nor the approval or disaaproval there of.

Disable distraction.

No comments: