Thursday, July 22, 2010

Vision Problems

I'm not talking about my eyes.

In basic leadership class, they tel you that every leader is a visionary, and if he's not, he's no leader at all. Now the fun part of the metaphor contained in that sort of language is that every leader is a visionary, but no leader as 20/20 vision. There are a variety of vision problems a leader can develop, and this is partly addressed in The Externaly-Focused Church. Here they give a few examples, and I am clearly guilty as I have been engaged in various tasks of leadership.

I am essentially nearsighted and wall-eyed. Meaning, It's difficult for me to really cast long-term vision, or see things in the future as being differently than they are now. This is definitely true as I consider myself, It's very difficult to envision myself changing or growing or becoming better. Which naturally leads itself to helplessness and hopelessness if unattended to.

I also tend to be concerned with what's going on all around me. What a friend of mine calls FOMO (Fear of Missing Out) and so to take a straight path toward a goal is much more difficult when, if I am honest, I have as my only real goal to do everything I want to do. Even the things which are mutually exclusive. This is the most painful when I have meditative and introspective periods, because I literally don't know which desires to follow.

One example of this is the desire for adventure. Now, one of the lessons that God taught me in the time I spent seeking out the peace corp only to withdraw 3 months before my scheduled departure, was that God has stories and adventures for us, but there is a difference between an adventurous heart and a reckless foolishness. Wisdom and Adventure are not antithetical. And yet, I feel like if I knew certain details of my life, like whether or not I'll get married, I would live my life differently depending on the verdict. I would take stupid risks if I didn't want my story to have a family in it.

How do I resolve these desires for family and adventure? I want to believe that their incompatibility is a cultural fabrication, but, it's hard. It's just hard, expecially when I feel like I could just end up frozen and not fulfill either one.

As one chaplain asked me when I commented on not being married, "What are you doing about it?" I think that's the point. If you want something, and it fits with godliness, go for it. But let God be the guide, and always hold up your heart for changing.

No comments: