Sunday, June 14, 2009

sweet sweet idolatry

So, I'm sitting here watching the NBA finals as the Lakers close in on yet ANOTHER championship. I hate the Lakers. I hate everything about them, except Jack Nicholson. He's a gentleman and a scholar.

But I think it's pretty interesting to note that since I was born, only been 8 teams have won this championship. Which is a time period closing in on 3 decades.

When i was a kid it was all Michael Jordan. Now it's all Kobe and Lebron. I think about all the time I've wasted memorizing sports facts, knowing players, sitting in front of the tube, or in the arena, watching sports recap shows, sports discussion shows, arguing about sports with friends, pretending to play sports via video games and listening to sports radio.

And then you hear people from other countries look at the west and they see the clearest form of idolatry available to fresh eyes. I think I've been spending too much time at the coliseum, and I think the I'm setting a goal this summer to detox from sports. Other than playing them myself with real people.

Boom.

...also, I love the Red Wings, but the Pens definitely earned the Stanley Cup this year. What a great series.

No comments: