Thursday, December 17, 2009

Pursuit of...

Just read an interesting article and also saw several different tweets about happiness, so, in light of seeing and hearing tragedies all around me right now, I thought I'd blog a little about happiness. Because we all talk about happiness the way we talk about love. We want it, in every possible way, and only usually pair it with terms of softness. Some (like John Piper) would consider it the ultimate motivator. I think there is something to that, we as humans do primarily, if not only what we believe will bring us the most happiness. Sometimes we believe that happiness will result from a long term investment (This is a common approach to religion with a strong emphasis on the afterlife) and sometimes we believe that what we do right now should result in our happiness. Even infants decide which toy to play with by this simple formula.

I guess I would say that I believe we are not made to find happiness in ourselves. We're not meant to be the rockstars of life, and inevitably those who do live like rockstars (or literally are rockstars) find nothing at the end of the rainbow, and are left drained and lonely. Others find fulfillment because of one thing, and one thing alone: Connection. Whether it's in a marriage, a friend/community, a higher power, an identity within society, we all want connection. If you watch enough movies (and I really watch a lot of movies) you find that that is what drives almost every hero to the end of his story: his will to connect to something. And we all want to be the heroes of stories, don't we? (sidenote; read Don Miller's new book!)

So what are you doing? I inevitably get caught up in myself. I think that doing what I want to do will lead to my happiness, yet that is the precise inclination of human flesh that Jesus corrects. If you strive to save your life, you will lose everything. Only by seeking something greater than yourself, realizing the nature of reality around you and participating in the divine mission, can you truly find life, and live to the full.

I think that is something that strikes me most about my friend Justin who recently passed away. I shared some of the biggest triumphs and joys with him, and I also endured some uncomfortable silences and heated words that only pass between old friends, and some things drew us closer together as friends, and some things we agreed to disagree. But I would bet the farm that Justin was happy. Because Justin knew the one true God, and knew that he couldn't do anything apart from that connection sustaining him, and giving him life. Over the 14 years that I knew Justin, that is something I saw happen to him. Being friends with someone who truly knows Jesus is amazing, because you can actually watch them become more humble as they grow in grace. To paraphrase Justin, grace happens when we realize we won't ever be happy if we keep trying to win the game by ourselves, even if God himself is on the sideline cheering us on. Happiness is when we bench our own desires to cheer on God, and our participation in the kingdom is a further means of grace. To glorify God by enjoying Him, forever


"Happy is a yuppy word; I am blessed." - Johnny Cash

No comments: